Wind Damage Insurance Claims

wind damage insurance claims

Most wind damage is caused by Hurricanes, Tornadoes or Cyclones. Some wind damage may also occur due to isolated gusty winds. Wind damage is mainly affecting the roofs, trees or landscaping. Some heavy windstorms (i.e. hurricanes, cyclones or tornados) may also cause serious structural damage to the buildings.

Most wind damage related claims may be simple to process, and insurance company adjuster may be able to assist the policy holder to reach a fair settlement. Occasionally, some wind damage related claims may become complicated due the overall size of the claim, and the homeowner may require help. The insurance companies usually require that the property owners conduct some initial repairs to prevent the property form being damaged any further (i.e. cover the damaged section of the roof, remove the broken/ fallen tree, conduct initial cleaning for safety reasons).

If the property owner is suspecting any gas leaks or any damaged electrical power lines due to the wind damage, it is important to turn off the gas and the electricity, and contact the local utility companies.

In some cases, the wind may cause damage to window glass. The property owner can board up the windows before the glass can be replaced.

It is important to photograph the damaged areas before any initial clean up or partial repairs can start. The insurance companies prefer to have documentation that is showing the condition of the property before the clean up or partial repairs had started in order to properly assess the claim related wind damage. The property owner should keep the receipts and invoices for any temporary repairs that have been conducted. These receipts can be turned in to the insurance company for reimbursements.

The property owner should hire a licensed contractor to perform claim related repairs. During the claim related repairs, some additional code upgrade related repairs may be needed. Most policies have code upgrade coverage or Ordinance and Law Coverage. This coverage is very important for older buildings. The older buildings may need to upgrade the damaged items to comply with the most recent codes.

A public adjuster may assist the policyholder in dealing with their insurance company and any other parties who are involved in the claims process and the repairs.

CALL OR E-MAIL US TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION (even if you have already filed a claim with your insurance company and received a settlement or a denial)