Vandalism, Burglary and Theft

Vandalism, Burglary and Theft

Vandalism is defined as an “action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property”.

Burglary is defined as “entry into a building illegally with intent to commit a crime, especially theft”.

Theft is defined as “the action or crime of stealing”.

There are some preventive steps that may be taken to reduce the chance of vandalism, burglary and theft to the property. Some of these steps include but not limited to installing an alarm system, or making sure that there is sufficient lighting around the property during the night. Some insurance companies may provide a discount in their rates for having the additional security at the property.

Most insurance policies are very specific about vandalism, burglary and theft related damage. In many instances, all three event may occur during the single incident. However, different coverages, limitations or exclusions may apply to specific areas of damage. Vandalism, burglary and theft claims may involve both structural and personal property damage.

Proper documentation of dwelling and personal property is very important when filing the Vandalism, burglary and theft claims. Especially, if the incident is involving theft of personal property. The insurance company will require the policy holder to produce supporting information regarding the personal property that was stolen. The supporting information may be a photograph, receipt, invoice, an appraisal certificate or any other relevant document that is showing the existence of the stolen item and it’s price.

In case of a vandalism, burglary and theft claim, it is very important to file a report with the local police department. Most insurance companies may require a police report if a claim for vandalism, burglary and theft was filed. The police departments can also assist the insurance companies to possibly recover the damages if the suspects are arrested. The vandalism, burglary and theft claims mainly occur in areas with high crime rate.

A public adjuster may assist the policyholder in dealing with their insurance company and any other parties who are involved in the claims process and the repairs.

CALL OR E-MAIL US TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION (even if you have already filed a claim with your insurance company and received a settlement or a denial)